Iran Live Updates: Trump Urges Speed on Iran Deal
President Donald Trump declared "major combat operations" against Iran on February 28, involving extensive U.S.-Israeli attacks on military, governmental, and infrastructure locations.
In the wake of the declaration of a two-week truce,initial U.S.-Iran talksin Pakistan in April was unable to achieve a peace agreement.
Trump later stated that the ceasefire would be extended indefinitely and that the U.S. embargo would continue until talks are completed "in any manner possible."
Latest Developments
May 18, 6:08 AM
Iran reacts to the most recent US peace initiative, Baghaei states
The Iranian Ministry of Foreign Affairs spokesperson, Esmaeil Baghaei, mentioned during a press conference on Monday that Tehran has addressed the most recent American offer for discussions.
The arbitration process is ongoing via Pakistan, Baghaei said to journalists.
"It is certain, first and foremost, that rights are not something we should negotiate or give up on," Baghaei stated, highlighting Iran's right to enrichment as outlined in the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty.
"There's no requirement for another party to acknowledge this right for Iran. This right is already in place," he added.

-ABC News' Victoria Beaule
May 18, 5:43 AM
IDF issues evacuation orders in southern Lebanon due to continuous airstrikes
An Israeli defense spokesperson, Avichay Adraee, issued evacuation notices for the southern Lebanese towns of Harouf, Burj el-Shamali, and Dibal in preparation for upcoming Israeli attacks on Monday.
Adraee stated that the IDF would respond "forcefully" to suspected Hezbollah locations in those regions, alleging that the Iran-backed group had "breached the ceasefire."
The Lebanese Ministry of Public Health reported on Sunday that the number of fatalities resulting from Israeli attacks in the country since March 2 has reached 2,988 individuals. Additionally, 9,210 people have been injured, according to the ministry.

May 18, 4:02 AM
Saudi Arabia and the UAE condemn new drone attacks
Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates confirmed new drone strikes on Sunday, even as the U.S.-Israel ceasefire remains in place and tensions with Iran persist.
The Abu Dhabi Media Office in the United Arab Emirates reported on Sunday that a drone strike of unknown origin led to a fire in an electrical generator "outside the inner boundary" of the Barakah Nuclear Power Plant located in the Al Dhafra area.
The Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the UAE stated in a release that the attack originated "from the direction of the western border."
The attacks represent a dangerous increase in tension, an unacceptable act of aggression, and a direct danger to the nation's security," the statement noted. The UAE, it mentioned, "will not accept any threat to its security and independence under any situation" and maintains the right "to react to any threats, accusations, or hostile actions.
The Saudi Arabian Defense Ministry stated on Sunday that its air defense systems shot down three drones "originating from Iraqi airspace."
The department stated in a message on X that it "retains the ability to react at the suitable moment and location."
May 17, 1:28 PM
Iran needs to act quickly and make a peace agreement, Trump says.
President Donald Trump is urging Iran to "move quickly, very quickly," cautioning that "there will be nothing left of them" if they fail to meet his requirements and reach a peace agreement.
"Time is running out for Iran, and they need to act quickly, or there will be nothing left of them. TIME IS CRITICAL!" Trump posted on his social media platform early Sunday afternoon.

The leader did not announce a new deadline or schedule for Iran's reply, unlike his previous actions.
During an interview on Fox News in China that aired Thursday evening, Trump stated that Iran "can reach an agreement or face destruction."
Last week, Trump called the truce with Iran"extremely weak" and "a complete mess" following his rejection of their peace agreement proposal.
-ABC News' Emily Chang
May 17, 11:57 AM
The U.S. did not request Chinese assistance to reopen the Strait of Hormuz, says Greer.
President Donald Trump's leading trade representative stated on Sunday that the U.S. presidentexacted a commitmentfrom China to not "supply financial backing to Iran," but that the United States did not request China's direct assistance in reopening the Strait of Hormuz.
"When the president entered, he didn't ask them to take action in the Strait of Hormuz. He was focused on ensuring they didn't supply materials to Iran. That's a promise he secured and verified," said U.S. Trade Representative Jamieson Greer.mentioned on ABC News' "This Week."

Greer stated that China has "a clear interest" in opening the strait — "I was present in those meetings, and that's what the Chinese mentioned," he said — however, without direct involvement, it remains uncertain if China's stance will exert any pressure on Iran.
The president is not looking to conduct joint military operations with China. I don't believe any American presidents have ever done that," Greer stated. "However, we definitely want to ensure they aren't interfering with our efforts to clarify the situation.
-ABC News' Quinn Scanlan
May 17, 7:29 AM
A drone attack in the UAE led to a fire at a generator inside a nuclear facility, according to officials.
A drone strike led to a fire at an electrical generator within a nuclear power facility in the United Arab Emirates, according to officials in Abu Dhabi who announced this on Sunday.
The generator was located "outside the inner perimeter" of the Barakah Nuclear Power Plant in the Al Dhafra Region, according to a statement from the Abu Dhabi Media Office on social media.

"The Federal Authority for Nuclear Regulation (FANR) stated that the fire did not impact the safety of the power plant or the functionality of its critical systems, and that all units are running as usual," officials mentioned.
-ABC News' Mike Trew
Post a Comment for "Iran Live Updates: Trump Urges Speed on Iran Deal"