The Arrest of Jonathan Andic
The son of Isak Andic, the billionaire founder of Mango, has been arrested in connection with his father's death. Jonathan Andic, 45, was taken into custody on Tuesday on suspicion of homicide and appeared in court in Martorell, a city near Barcelona, wearing handcuffs.
Isak Andic, who was 71 years old, died after falling more than 100 meters while hiking with family members in the Montserrat caves near Barcelona in December 2024. A spokesperson for Mossos d’Esquadra, the Catalan regional police, confirmed the arrest, stating that Jonathan Andic is suspected of being involved in his father's death.
During a closed-door hearing, Jonathan Andic answered questions from a judge for an hour. He was released on bail, which was set at €1 million. However, there were contradictions in his testimony, according to judicial sources who spoke to La Vanguardia newspaper. These discrepancies reportedly concerned where he was when his father fell, the location where he parked his car during the hike, and whether he took photographs during the outing.
Spanish media reported that Isak Andic fell down a ravine while hiking in an area part of the Montserrat mountain range. He was accompanied by Jonathan at the time of the accident. A large-scale emergency operation involving helicopters and search and rescue teams was launched, but Isak suffered multiple injuries and died at the scene.
Family Statement and Legal Proceedings
On Tuesday, the Andic family issued a statement regarding the court appearance. It said: “Jonathan Andic is appearing before the court in connection with the accident which occurred on 14 December 2024. At this moment, we cannot add more because a secrecy order has been placed over the case. Our collaboration has and will be total.”
Isak Andic, a Turkish-born businessman, founded Mango in 1984 with the help of his brother, Nahman. He was known as a rival of Zara founder Amancio Ortega. The fashion brand now operates in nearly 3,000 outlets across 120 countries. At the time of his death, he was non-executive chair of the company and had a net worth of $4.5 billion, according to Forbes.
He elevated the brand's profile by inviting top models such as Kate Moss, Claudia Schiffer, Naomi Campbell, and Kendall Jenner to his collections. Queen Letizia of Spain, who delivered a tribute to the businessman upon his death, was among his close friends.
Jonathan Andic has consistently denied any responsibility for his father’s death, claiming it was an accidental fall while they were hiking together at a popular tourist spot.
Investigation and Reopening of the Case
The initial investigation into the death of the Mango founder was closed in January 2025 after a judge concluded there was no evidence of wrongdoing. However, the case was later reopened, and police examined the mobile phones of Jonathan Andic and his sisters, Judith and Sarah.
Last year, the Andic family expressed confidence that Jonathan was innocent after several local media outlets reported he was under investigation. In a statement, the family said: “We will continue to cooperate, as has done until now, with the competent authorities. Furthermore, it trusts that this process will be concluded as soon as possible and that it will prove Jonathan Andic’s innocence.”
Following Isak Andic’s death, Jonathan was appointed vice-president of the board of the privately held company and president of its holding company, MNG. His sisters, Judith and Sarah, were named as vice presidents of MNG. Toni Ruiz, the chief executive officer, also became chair of the board after Andic’s passing.
Legacy and Future of Mango
Ruiz commented on the loss, saying: “His departure leaves a huge void, but all of us are, in some way, his legacy, and the testimony of his achievements. It is up to us, and this is the best tribute we can make to Isak and which we will fulfill, to ensure that Mango continues to be the project that Isak aspired to and of which we would feel proud.”



No comments:
Post a Comment