The Arrest of Jonathan Andic
The son of Isak Andic, the billionaire founder of Mango, has been arrested in connection with his father's death. Jonathan Andic, 45, was taken into custody on Tuesday and appeared in handcuffs before the courthouse in Martorell, a city near Barcelona. His 71-year-old father died after falling more than 100 meters while hiking with family members in the Montserrat caves near Barcelona in December 2024.
A spokesperson for Mossos d’Esquadra, the Catalan regional police, confirmed the arrest of Jonathan Andic on suspicion of homicide. During a closed-door hearing, he answered questions from a judge for an hour. He has since been released on bail, which was set at €1 million.
Contradictions in Testimony
Judicial sources have revealed contradictions in Jonathan Andic’s testimony. These reportedly involved where he was when his father fell, the area where he parked his car during the excursion, and whether he took photographs during the day out. Spanish media reported that Andic fell down a ravine to his death while hiking in an area part of the Montserrat mountain range.
He was with Jonathan when the accident occurred. A large-scale emergency operation was launched using helicopters and search and rescue teams, but Andic suffered multiple injuries and died at the scene.
Family Statement and Legal Proceedings
In response to the arrest, the Andic family issued a statement: “Jonathan Andic is appearing before the court in connection with the accident which occurred on 14 December 2024. At this moment, we cannot add more because a secrecy order has been placed over the case. Our collaboration has and will be total.”
The original investigation into the death of the Mango founder was closed in January 2025 after a judge said there was no evidence of wrongdoing. However, it was later reopened, and police examined the mobile telephone of Jonathan Andic and his sisters Judith and Sarah Andic.
Last year, the Andic family expressed confidence in Jonathan's innocence after several local media reported he was being investigated. In a statement, the family said, “We will continue to cooperate, as has done until now, with the competent authorities. Furthermore, it trusts that this process will be concluded as soon as possible and that it will prove Jonathan Andic’s innocence.”
Leadership Changes in Mango
Jonathan Andic was appointed vice-president of the board of the privately held company on his father’s death and president of its holding company, MNG. His sisters Judith and Sarah were named as vice presidents of MNG. Chief executive officer Toni Ruiz also became chair of the board after Andic’s death.
Ruiz stated, “His departure leaves a huge void, but all of us are, in some way, his legacy, and the testimony of his achievements. It is up to us, and this is the best tribute we can make to Isak and which we will fulfill, to ensure that Mango continues to be the project that Isak aspired to and of which we would feel proud.”

Legacy of Isak Andic
Isak Andic, a Turkish-born businessman, founded Mango with the help of his brother, Nahman, in Barcelona in 1984. He was known as a rival of Zara founder Amancio Ortega. The chain now operates in almost 3,000 outlets in 120 countries. At the time of his death, he was non-executive chair of the fashion brand and worth $4.5 billion, according to Forbes.
Andic raised the profile of the brand by inviting models including Kate Moss, Claudia Schiffer, Naomi Campbell, and Kendall Jenner to his collections. He counted among his close friends Queen Letizia of Spain, who delivered a homage to the businessman when he died.

Jonathan Andic’s Denial
Jonathan Andic has always denied any responsibility for his father’s death, stating that he suffered an accidental fall while they were hiking together at a popular tourist spot. Despite this, the legal proceedings continue, and the family remains committed to supporting him through the process.

No comments:
Post a Comment