
Sudanese Paramilitary Commander Released After Controversial Actions
A Sudanese paramilitary commander, known as Abu Lulu, has been released from prison and returned to active duty on the battlefield, according to multiple sources. This development has raised concerns among human rights organizations and international observers.
Multiple Sources Confirm Release
Nine sources, including a Sudanese intelligence official and a commander with the paramilitary Rapid Support Forces (RSF), confirmed that Abu Lulu was seen on the battlefield in Kordofan in March. A Chadian military officer close to RSF command also mentioned that RSF officers had requested his return to boost morale during heavy fighting in the region.
Reuters spoke with 13 sources who claimed to know about Abu Lulu’s release. These include three RSF commanders, an RSF officer, a relative of Abu Lulu, a Chadian military officer close to RSF command, and seven other individuals with contacts in RSF leadership or access to intelligence on RSF field operations.
Despite these claims, the RSF-led coalition government denied the release. A statement from Ahmed Tugud Lisan, the spokesman for the RSF-led Tasis government, said: “The talk about Abu Lulu being released is untrue, malicious, and completely false.” The statement added that a special court will try him and others accused of violations during the al-Fashir offensive.
Sanctions and International Outcry
Abu Lulu was imprisoned in late October 2025 after the RSF’s bloody takeover of al-Fashir. Videos surfaced showing him executing unarmed people, earning him the nickname “the butcher of al-Fashir.” The UN Security Council sanctioned him for human rights abuses on February 24.
The three-year civil war between the Sudanese army and the RSF has led to what aid groups describe as the world's largest humanitarian crisis. Earlier this year, an independent UN probe found that the mass killings in al-Fashir bear the hallmarks of genocide.
Four videos verified by Reuters show Abu Lulu shooting at least 15 unarmed captives in al-Fashir on October 27. All were wearing civilian clothing. Killing unarmed individuals is considered a war crime under international law.
After international outcry, RSF leader Mohamed Hamdan Dagalo, known as Hemedti, acknowledged violations by his fighters and promised an accountability committee to investigate any abuses.
Conflicting Reports and Uncertainty
In November, Al Jazeera reported that Abu Lulu had been released, citing unspecified online videos. However, on December 2, the head of the RSF-appointed accountability committee told Reuters that Abu Lulu was still in custody and under investigation.
Four sources told Reuters that Abu Lulu was released in December, but Reuters could not confirm when he was freed. A relative said that before returning to duty in Kordofan, Abu Lulu appeared before a disciplinary board in November.
Reuters could not confirm the hearing took place or its outcome. However, it was reported that Hemedti’s brother, Abdelrahim Dagalo, deputy commander of the RSF, ordered Abu Lulu’s release via radio message.
Command Responsibility and Legal Implications
The videos of Abu Lulu are part of nearly 300 videos analyzed by Reuters and the Sudan Witness project. Reuters identified Abu Lulu as the only commander in the videos shooting unarmed people. However, the investigation also found that three other senior RSF commanders were in the same area during the mass killings.
Under international law, these leaders may be held criminally liable for crimes committed by their fighters. Jehanne Henry, a human rights lawyer, emphasized that leaders can be held accountable for the actions of their subordinates.
The RSF did not respond to questions about the specific actions of commanders present during the al-Fashir offensive. Hemedti stated that any soldier or officer who committed a crime would be arrested and investigated.
Survivor Accounts and Human Rights Concerns
Reuters spoke with six survivors in refugee camps in Chad who witnessed Abu Lulu killing civilians in al-Fashir. Manazil Mousa, 25, described how Abu Lulu took her family’s belongings, beat them, and shot her brother. Madina Adam, 38, recounted how Abu Lulu killed women and children in Al-Fashir University.
An RSF commander reported that leadership ordered other officers to keep quiet about Abu Lulu’s return to combat. Another RSF commander and the relative said Abu Lulu was released on the condition that he not film or be filmed on the battlefield. No images of him in action have been found since his release.
“He has been free for about three or four months and is on the battlefield with his troops,” said one RSF commander. Abu Lulu’s relative noted that the RSF needed his services due to ongoing struggles in the Kordofan region.
Public Support and Continued Violence
In several videos verified by Reuters and Sudan Witness, other RSF fighters praised Abu Lulu and his actions. In one video, an RSF fighter stated that if Abu Lulu disappeared, they would all become like him.
“If Abu Lulu disappeared, or you arrested him or tried him, we are all 1,000 Abu Lulus,” he said. “I too am Abu Lulu.”
This public support highlights the complex dynamics within the RSF and raises serious concerns about accountability and justice in the ongoing conflict.
No comments:
Post a Comment